Wednesday, June 20, 2007

food for thought.

this article on cnn made me think. over the many months that i have battled with diabetes, i've been struck with how much the concerns that i have about food parallel the concerns of someone who struggles with an eating disorder. the amount of thought that diabetics have to put into a meal can seem excessive to others without the disease. (the closest i come to exploding is when people look at me while i am trying to figure out the amount of carbs in a meal and say stupid stuff like, "oh my god, do you REALLY need to do all that math?", as if this is somehow a choice-- AGH! it makes me want to punch them in the nose.) @#$%, it seems excessive to me at times. what i wouldn't give to eat just one meal without the considerations of portion size, carbohydrates, fat, insulin dose, pump delivery, highs, and lows.

when i was first diagnosed, nurses would hound me by saying things like, "well, you've got to watch your weight gain! insulin makes you put on weight!" take that and add it to the amount that we diabetics have to fixate on food, and things can get dangerous. which is why the idea of diabulima actually makes a lot of sense to me... no, this is NOT a cry for help. i'm just thinking that with all the pressure that diabetics deal with regarding food, exercise, and weight, this kind of thing happens more than we'd like to think.

1 comment:

Sasha said...

You're so right. I have to admit sometimes it's easier for me to skip part of the meal or a snack than count everything and guess, yes I say guess, because no matter how good I count it's still a matter of guessing how much insulin I need for this or that and how my body is going to react. How many times did I have completely different results after eating exactly the same with the same blood sugar and the same unsulin dose. I think more than often that it's just easier not to eat at all. Does it make me a dianorexic?